Due to rising regional and national cases related to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, all Smithsonian museums, including the National Zoo, are temporarily closed to the public, effective Monday, Nov. 23.
Individuals can schedule their visits up to 30 days in advance. Passes are released throughout each day, beginning at 11:00 a.m., for time slots 30 days out. Passes are no longer released three months in advance.
To keep us all safe, and to support efforts to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, we have limited capacity and implemented new safety measures in our facilities. Your visit to the National Museum of African American History and Culture will be different, and new measures will be in place. Please review the important information below as you plan your visit.
Visitors ages six and older are required to wear a face covering during their visit. Face coverings are also strongly recommended for visitors between the ages of two and six. Face shields are not permitted as a substitute for a face covering but may be worn over a face covering or mask. Face coverings or masks with an exhalation valve are not permitted.
Face coverings should be worn over the nose and mouth. Face coverings may be removed while eating or drinking in designated spaces.
• Please maintain a safe social distance of six feet or more between household groups and individuals. Social distancing signage and directions will be found throughout our facilities.
• Please wash and sanitize hands frequently during your visit and practice good hygiene. Hand sanitizing stations are available throughout our facility.
• We encourage you to limit the number of personal belongings and bags you bring into our facilities, as they will be subject to a thorough search. Limiting the items you bring will increase your speed through security check points, helping us all maintain a safe social distance. Please note that we do not offer coat or bag storage at this time.
RESERVE A TIMED ENTRY SLOT FOR THE SMITHSONIAN AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY AND CULTURE MUSEUM GENERAL ADMISSION
General Admission is free
Here’s how to register:
Choose a date from the calendar.
Select a time slot from the drop down and click confirm time slot to continue.
• Companions: A personal care attendant accompanying a visitor will also need a free timed-entry pass.
• Service Animal Policy: Service animals are welcome at Smithsonian museums. Service animals, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, are dogs trained to do work or perform specific tasks for a guest with a disability.
• Accessible Access: All visitors will be directed to enter the museum at 15th and Madison Drive NW and exit through the door at 14th and Constitution Avenue NW.
• AIRA: The Smithsonian Washington, D.C.-metropolitan area museums and the National Zoo are AIRA access sites. Visitors who are blind or low-vision can download the AIRA app free of charge onto a smart phone. The AIRA app uses the phone’s camera to take in the user’s surroundings, and a live AIRA agent will describe the environment, including reading of exhibit labels and instructions. This service is free of charge on the Museum premises. Learn more at aira.io.
Visitors will have the option to request accessibility accommodations on the next page.